The South Asian Travel Awards announced SATA 2021 in great hope of an early revival to the hospitality and travel industry. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 situation did not seem to curb especially in the region. As of now, almost all the South Asian countries are in lockdown or partially closed for tourism and leisure travel. As such SATA had to decide on the way forward for 2021.
After careful consideration and deliberation with endorsing partners and board members, SATA has decided not to go ahead with the 2021 awards citing the lockdowns, as most properties are still not in full operation.
SATA prays a quick recovery for all infected, and requests all to comply with the regulations of local health authorities to overcome the situation. We wish the millions of hospitality service workers a quick return to service.
South Asian Travel Awards has been recognizing the best of South Asian travel and hospitality since 2016. The prestigious annual event honors stellar organizations and individuals with the aim to revive and raise service standards within the region’s tourism industry. South Asian Travel Awards is endorsed by 16 regional and international bodies for its accredited work, including:
· Association of Professionals in Tourism (APT),
· Association of Tourism Trade Organizations, India (ATTOI),
· Association of Travel Agents (ATA),
· Colombo Chamber of Commerce (CCC),
· Confederation of Accredited Tour Operators (CATO),
· Federation of Chambers of Commerce & Industry of Sri Lanka (FCCISL),
· Hotel and Restaurant Association of Bhutan (HRAB),
· Kerala Hotel General Manager Club (KHGMC),
· National Boating Association of Maldives (NBAM),
· Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators (MATATO),
· Maldives Marketing & PR Corporation (MMPRC),
· Nepal Tourism Board (NTB),
· Sri Lanka Association of Inbound Tour Operators (SLAITO),
· The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka (THASL),
· Bangladesh International Hotel Association (BIHA),
· The Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO).
Despite the unprecedented challenges, SATA 2020 was successfully held virtually. The previous editions were held at Amari Galle, Sri Lanka (2019), Taj Mahal Palace, India (2018), Equator Village, Maldives (2017) and Mount Lavinia Hotel, Sri Lanka (2016).